Friday, July 16, 2010

Data collecting: halfway there!

Normally in Georgia Tech psychology labs, researchers recruit young adults through an online site called Experimetrix. Professors will require that students do a certain number of hours of participating in psych experiments, so students come in to fulfill that requirement. This summer, people in my building have noted that it's an especially slow summer, since there's low course enrollment and not that many professors are having students participate. And even when students do sign up, they're allowed to cancel last minute or not show up at all...and this has happened quite a few times to me already.

Luckily, my friends at the BRAIN program were interested in participating, especially as there's the added incentive of getting monetary compensation for helping me :) We're shooting for around 20 subjects for me to present my poster on, and today I just finished my 12th subject. Since everyone else in the program is also working full time, I've started to bring back one of the lab laptops with me to test people in the evenings, and tomorrow I'll be testing three more people. Upon hearing of my testing-filled weekend plans, the grad student in my lab commented that I'm already starting to live like a graduate student--he usually comes into the lab on weekends.

Speaking of graduate school, this past Wednesday, the program had a group of panelists come in to answer questions about applications for and life during grad school. I found it very informative, and I'll write about it very, very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ack, yes finding subjects can be frustrating, but it sounds like you're doing a good job recruiting! What is your psych project on?

    ReplyDelete